Pages

Quiet

Dark skies and raining with the faint sound of thunder rolling in the clouds. I'm sitting at my desk with the dogs at my feet and then realized that I was just sitting here, listening... to nothing.

We dropped Ryker off at daycare this morning. His first day. I hope he's okay. If there was any kid that would be, it would be him. I'm sure he's occupied drooling and gnawing on every toy in the place.

When we dropped him off at 7:30, another child was crying and wouldn't stop. Ryker just sat and stared at her while another boy close to his age covered his ears and then started to get upset. I just watched our little man watching his new friends hoping the domino effect didn't land him next.

When we said goodbye and told him to have fun and then headed out, Ryker was coming toward us, but not in a panic or looking upset so we just kept going.

Incidences since Ryker was born have triggered jokes of homeschooling. The day we went to an early years program for a play and Ryker's first real interaction with another child ended with the toddler snatching the toy and yelling, "Mine!". If the mom of the sassy little one wasn't in view I would've snatched the toy right from that mighty two-year-old grasp.
A few months ago a little boy asked me if Ryker was a girl or a boy and then asked me his name. When I told him Ryker's last name, the kid said, "That's not a real name". That was the day I almost climbed a playground fence and knocked out a six-year-old. I am, of course, (half) joking about this, but I've been nervous in the months leading up to this moment....
Slowing when we pass the daycare playground on a walk and scouting out the teachers and safety of the play equipment. Reviewing the forms over and over, rewriting his daily routine over and over and over and over and fretting about whether I should bring in the Canada's Food Guide and ask where on it I can find chicken fingers and fish sticks that are served.

I left Ryker this morning feeling like I couldn't say what I needed to say to feel assured they would meet his needs. Did they hear me say he likes 'blankie' when he's napping? Did they see me put it into his cupboard. I don't think she heard my answer when she asked if Ryker had eaten breakfast yet. I gave her his bottle, but where did she put it? How will she remember it's his or know when he will want it?


I can only sigh at today - The first time I have to let go of control and leave him in the hands of people that don't love him like we do. For the first time, he's not the centre of the universe. This is good for him and this is good for us.



I wonder what he's doing right now.
4.9.12

No comments:

Post a Comment