Pages

Daycare

Dear Ryker,
You survived your first day of daycare and with flying colours, just as we knew you would. And, so did mommy and daddy. That we weren't so sure of. 
Teacher Sandy and Teacher Yvonne raved about you and how easily you go with the flow. You ate your snacks and lunch and a couple of cat naps and played at the kitchen set a lot with the pots and pans and opening and closing the fridge door.
 It was so weird when daddy came home for lunch and we just sat alone, but together and talked about the absence of you. I didn't realize that we weren't sure who we were anymore without you.
 Don't tell daddy I told you this, but I think he was a little teary eyed when we dropped you off this morning, although was reassuring me that you would be fine. When he was getting his work boots on after lunch ready to head back to work he said he had already thought about you 100 times today. He was a little worried I could tell, because he mentioned that he forgot to tell the teachers that you can only have one small piece of food at a time because you will put everything into your mouth at once. Don't let me giving daddy a hard time fool you. He is the greatest, really.
 We were both there to pick you up, just like we both dropped you off. You were alone playing at the wooden fridge and chewing on a toy. You turned when you heard my voice and smiled and came crawling over. Your smile didn't say, Thank God you came back for me! And you didn't come to us at any panicked speed. You seemed pretty content - A word we've used to describe you since the day you were born.
 You stood up and just hung there in mid-air (I swear, if you take your first steps at daycare...) until I picked you up and squeezed you. 
We asked you all about your day on the way home and you just looked in the car mirror and smiled. You had a bright pink rubber ball in your mouth that you decided to "borrow" until Thursday and that we didn't notice when we left daycare. You were wearing navy "Dockers-style" shorts with a turquoise, navy and white striped t-shirt and hand-me-down Robeez with hippos that left a red ring around your ankle, but were too long for your feet.

I love you Boo.
4.9.12

No comments:

Post a Comment