Pages

'No' is no joke

A few weeks ago Ryker started doing this adorable thing. When we told him 'no' or when he was about to do something he knew he wasn't supposed to (like tug on the speaker wires) he would look at us and tilt his chin down, raise his eyebrows and shake his head 'no' with a devious smile. It was comparable to the stories I've heard from moms raising toddlers who count to three with them before sending them to time out.

We soaked up this cute new act and weren't too worried because he wasn't doing anything that I felt deserved any kind of punishment.... Until, he started to hit.

Last week I gave Ryker some crayons and guided them from his mouth back to the paper, telling him 'no' and showing him how to colour. After a couple 'no's, he slowly lifted the crayon up to his mouth looking at me, clearly testing the water. I grabbed his hand with the crayon in it and pulled it away from his mouth and looked at him and sternly said 'no'. He decided right then that he didn't like that word anymore and angrily pulled his hand out of mine and then gave me a few swats.

No longer is 'no' a cute and fun word in our house.

I thought this parenting thing was going a little too smoothly so far.

Here we go.
4.11.12

No comments:

Post a Comment