Pages

Your world forever after

I don't remember what I was doing the day before I knew you would arrive. I remember I didn't sleep that night, which is the norm when you're in the last days of pregnancy and past your due date.

Ryker and I went for a stroll early this evening and were greeted by a beautiful, glowing mama-to-be with a perfect pregnant belly. She eyed us with urgency until we met face-to-face, as if she couldn't wait to "talk baby". She is being induced in the morning. Her and her husband and the little dog she was walking are expecting a baby boy.

She is desperate for encouragement as the hours count down to labour and delivery and yearning for a literal sneak peak about "The Moment" the baby arrives, and some reassurance that motherhood is all it's cracked up to be and more.

She asked me how labour was and I told her quick and painful.
She wanted to know what it was like to be induced. I told her that I don't remember, but that Ryker came four hours later.
She looked at Ryker and told me how cute he is and asked, "What's it like?" I knew she was talking about being a mommy and I told her it's amazing. I felt so excited and anxious for her.
"And having a boy?" she asked.
Wild and busy and fun.

Very insightful, huh? It's true, what your mom couldn't explain to you because it can't be put into words.
Nothing can describe the moment your baby comes into this world and your world forever after.

She thanked me. And I wished her luck and told her she'd do great. I sincerely wish her all the best.

We parted ways, and then something seemed so surreal.
Tonight she's walking her dog, tomorrow her life will change forever.
She thinks she knows, but she has no idea what it's going to feel like - Labour and delivery, "The Moment" and motherhood.

How sad when I remember the parents who said to me, "Your life will never be the same" in a tone that suggested in a negative connotation that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. That life would change, of course, but perhaps not for the better? Hmmm.
13.8.12

No comments:

Post a Comment