Pages

It's a phase: Separation anxiety

According to one of those "all-important first year" textbooks that we, new moms, swear by in the early days and then want to set fire to as soon as we read that our baby hasn't reached one of the mentioned developmental milestones he "should" have in the first month, Ryker may be dealing with a minor case of separation anxiety.

I took the book to bed last night to see if I could find anything to help interpret some strange behaviour on Ryker's behalf. We went to visit Nana and Grump last night and he made strange. I was leaving him there for a few minutes to go do some pet sitting business and when I came back he was hysterical until he was in my arms. I thought, Awww... So he does want his mommy, but also that it was very out of character for him.

It was that experience and my guilt for him not settling himself to sleep anymore (See blog post: Be careful what you wish for) that had me dig out the book.

And here's what I found:
Nine months
Now, and for the next few months, is when separation anxiety is at its peak. Although it's normal for a nine-month old to show an extreme attachment to you, and fear everyone else, it can be difficult for doting grandparents and other relatives and friends. Encourage people to approach slowly and let your baby make the first move.

So it's not my new need to meet his every whimper and scoop him up and out of his crib that has ruined the ease of getting him down for bedtime.

Ah, how the human race finds justification in anything.

If it's mommy he's crying for through this phase, I'll indulge!
8.8.12

No comments:

Post a Comment